Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Week 48 -- Summer still hanging on

Mom and Dad
 
I am doing pretty well. To be honest this week was a challenge.  Not every week on your mission is great. I think I made it through the week because I have learned to have a good attitude towards ALL things. Prayer is a big help as well. We did a whole lot of just contacting. Trying to find less actives.  It is all good. We really did not teach all that much. 
 
On Saturday we went walking around town square and we passed this little white non denominational church, and said to ourselves that maybe we should start church hopping. We walk one more block down and guess who we run into.... The preacher and his family!! We had a good discussion on the street. And really interesting too.  He said he had a Book of Mormon and that he would like to meet with us and ask us a few questions. Well those questions were brought up right then and there.  To make the story short, he was trying to convert us to his church!!! And that is a summary of my mission so far. 
 
I have been struggling with feeling like I am not smart enough. It is sad to say but a lot of the preachers here know more about the Book of Mormon than I do. They know doctrine and covenants like nobody's business. And here I am, this punk kid who did nothing to prepare for his mission. (well not quit nothing) getting bashed the crap out of by these church of christ baptist preachers.. All those preachers read the Book of Mormon or Doctrine and Covenants with a hardened heart, and so they didn't let the spirit testify to them of the truthfulness of the gospel. What I have come to know is that my greatest desire is to be a simple man with a strong testimony. And that's what I have. A simple strong testimony. I may not be a scriptorian or a historian about the church or religion over all. But I know that this gospel is true. That the Book of Mormon is indeed the word of God. That Jesus is the Christ and that He lives. I know Heavenly Father lives and He hears and answers my prayers. All in all I know I was sent here for a reason and in some ways I have learned why I am here, but I still have like a year left. So lots to learn..
 
It has been sooooo humid. On Saturday it was so humid it seriously was sprinkling.
 
I am so excited about Devan playing football. I love football. I sure do miss it a lot. That is pretty cool about going to the gym now. I am going to start running in the morning. I need to get into shape haha. I miss Carlos so much. I love him so much. He is truly one of my best friends. Can you send me Conner's address so I can write him please? I sure miss him too. I love getting the Dear Elder's from JD's mom. Also if you could send a package and put a pair of my cleats in the box. The members are wanting to play football Saturday morning's so I told them I would ask to get my cleats. Plus the turkey bowl is in a few months haha!!!
 
Facebook is so weird! I see all these things from home!  I am definitely blessed because I get to read a bunch of talks and learn more of what modern day apostles and prophets are teaching. Plus, I am learning how to work a computer haha. Well yall take care. I sure do appreciate all that yall do. Yall are the best. I hope you have a great week mom. Miss you tons. Love you much.
 
Love Elder Vaughn Dee Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment