Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Week 63 -- Elder Dickman is the man!

Mom!!
Man we all had one heck of a week! I am sorry to hear that y’all have been sick!! I really don’t like being sick, and knock on wood I haven't gotten sick in a while now. But this week has been pretty crazy too. Ii never thought I would be training, and I am. Elder Ahokava is gone, our car, is in Franklin for about 2 to 3 weeks and I have a new comp.   Elder Dickman is 6’6” and about 300 pounds of pure greenie fire. He is from Topeka, Kansas and has been preparing for his mission longer than I have been a missionary!  He definitely is different than me. But I know we will get along fine. Training is interesting, makes me feel old; which I don’t like. Elder Dickman was the exact opposite of me when I came out. He knows his scriptures pretty well and actually read Preach My Gospel several times before his mission. He has studied it! He just needs the experience now.   I look back to when I was getting trained, all that I have learned so far and use that to teach him. So the training is... going. Our investigators are.... going. And the ward is.... going.
None of our investigators came to church on Sunday.. But a couple less actives did! Jeremy came but not his wife... But we had supper with them at the Bradford’s house again. That went really well. They are feeling more comfortable around us now and we should be teaching them pretty soon!
Jessica and Alex went out of town this weekend but we are going over tonight! Jessica loves to hear the apostles and first presidency speak.   She loves Elder Uchtdorf!  So tonight we are going to watch one of his talks and have a discussion on it. Oscar and Bethany didn't come to the party or to church... But he said he would like to meet with the bishop!  This is a big step for him! He is so sincere with all of us.  I respect him in what he is doing... He wants true forgiveness for things that happened in the war. We share the atonement and bear hard core testimony to him, but there is something else. We haven’t bridged that gap yet and we are hoping his meeting with the bishop will bridge that gap!
We had our Christmas party on Saturday too.  We had a reenactment of the Nativity as well. I don’t know if I have told you yet, but there is a guy in our ward named Brother Penrod and he is from either Show Low or Round Valley.  I know he knows Uncle Matt and Uncle Jake. He graduated with Uncle Matt. They are going back to AZ to have Christmas with his parents and I told him to stop by the DQ and say hey to grandma.   It is pretty cool that in every area I have served there has been a connection with back home.
For Christmas we are going over to the Draper's and I think she sent you an email maybe? But I don’t know when we are going to call. I know that Elder Dickman has to call later in the evening, but I will let you know for sure next Monday.  TELL DEVAN TO EMAIL ME. I sure miss him. I started my letter to him, but the last couple nights I have been on the phone...  I will try and finish it this week. 
Well I love you so much! I am so excited to talk to y’all on Tuesday! It’s hard to think that this is my second Christmas in the mission field! After training I am going to hit my 6 month stretch! AHH! IT IS GOING BY TOO FAST.  I love my mission! I love being a missionary! I love how this gospel changes lives! I love to see the Love of our Savior Jesus Christ bring a change into people’s lives. I know my life has changed so much for it. I know missions can be tough, but we go through hard things to find the good things. No one said it would be easy. But they said it would be worth it. I love y’all with all my heart!
 Love your son Elder Vaughn Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment